This fully automated barrel plating line was designed by Pal and commissioned in 2004 to provide a 24” x 48” zinc barrel line with trivalent chromium finish. More photos are available on request.
The plant uses a full graphical Scada MX4 programmable operating system with Mitsubishi PlC hardware, that was upgraded in 2010 to operate on the later Windows XP operating system.
The 21 station line employs 6 zinc plating stations and uses Drake thyristor fired 1500 Amp 20 Volt rectifiers for both the plating and the electro-clean stations (7 electrified stations in total).
The general construction of the lines structural steel work is manufactured from Stainless Steel with a service walkway alongside the full length of the line. The solution tanks themselves are mainly constructed from Polypropylene.
The barrels are loaded in a semi auto mode in a cellular installation at the front end of the plating line. Three tote bins at a time are placed upon a tipping unit before the barrel at the load station is rotated to the load position. The operator exits the cell and the tipper is activated to deposit components into the barrel. Once the lid is locked the single transporter can then collect the barrel and the automated process will then run automatically through the predefined sequence from start to finish.
Upon completion the barrel is parked at the unload station whereby the lid is removed and the barrel again rotated to discharge the load into a hopper for transfer out of the cell. The system can be set to process multiple barrels and up to 6 barrels may be plated at any one time.
Two satellite tanks are also included in the system for the cooling and storage of the zinc plating solution. Solutions on the line are maintained with the Siebec “P” series filter pumps in an optimum state for plating.
The line is further serviced by a twin stream fume extraction and abatement system comprised of two vertical packed tower fume scrubbers for both the Acid and Alkali process stream with capacities of 7052 & 6354 CFM respectively.
- External Dimensions: 101.5′ long X 21.2′ wide X 19.7′ high
- 18 Process stations, 1 load, 1 unload, 1 barrel maintenance position
- 24″ x 48″ Barrel size
- 330 pound max per barrel
- Single rail rider type hoist
- Built in 2004
- Load station tipper loader
- (9) Linnhoff/Galvanotechnik 24″x48″ motor on-board barrels
- (7) Drake 1500 Amp 20 Thyristor fired air cooled DC rectifiers
- Siebec P series filters with magnetically coupled seal-less pumps
- (2) Service tanks for cooling and solution makeup of the zinc plating solutions
- (2) Vertical packed tower fume scrubbers
- WMV Z600 Centrifugal dryer with loading conveyor and vibratory unloading conveyor